Songs To Nowhere#109#Trendkill Radio#6.09.2021

An interview with New Candys - The Italian Job IV

When I began thinking about an interview with a band I always try to remember which song of theirs brought them to my attention and when. Because I obsessively deal with music it’s not that hard to have a specific memory attached to almost every band I like. I remember listening to some songs maybe around 2013/2014, made some research on my playlists and mixclouds and I think I found the song that made me listen to New Candys. Pretty sure it was Blackbeat, Anyway it doesn't really make a difference, I would end up catching them sooner or later as they are also with Fuzz Club and especially because they already played some of my favorite festivals, (is it wrong to have favorite festivals even if I've never been there? I really don't care!) 

New Candys

The truth is that more than 10 years have passed since their first steps in Venice, three lp's and two Ep's, at least that I'm aware of. 
 The way they sound the things that they're sound evokes in my memory is very vast and diverse, sometimes as dark as it can be, and others like light itself could hurt. New Candys assume they're ideas and present their inspiration;  La Cicatrice Intérieure was a point of inspiration for the visuals of Bleeding Magenta, or that some of the inspiration of As Medicine came from "Maya Deren’s surrealistic films together with the Patent Medicines’ period, when drugs compounds were sold pretending to be medications with exclusive ingredients". 
No excuses, check the videos and the links to discover more! New Candys are now touring europe, with The Warlocks and the Dandy Warhols, don't miss it!



Songs to Nowhere – How did New Candys’ current lineup form?

Fernando: Dario and I have been in the band since the beginning. Andrea recorded Bleeding Magenta and put a lot of passion and ability into the creation of it, so he naturally become a permanent member of the band soon after the release of the record (because the original lineup couldn’t tour anymore). When the band eventually needed a new bass player, we thought about Alessandro since we were friends and shared very similar taste and attitude towards making music and art in general.

STN – What happened with the previous members of the band?

Fernando: I like to think that Desire Lines by Deerhunter is the right answer to this question.

STN  – Which is the song or album that you believe gave you more exposure and why.

New Candys - We think our latest album, Bleeding Magenta. Thanks to it we have been able to tour Australia, North America two times and more of Europe of course. Compared to the other records, in this album we have achieved the sound that we initially had in mind.

New Candys - Blackbeat

STN - Where do you get the inspiration for lyrics like "Excess"?

Fernando: For Excess, they came from a personal experience of mine but most of the lyrics could be inspired by images and dreams.

STN – New Candys have been playing since 2008, what has changed in the last 11 years?

New Candys - It could sound romantic, but we’ve become more aware of the importance and power of music throughout the years, especially in the latest ones. Having the chance of traveling a lot and connecting with people who appreciate your music is really special and precious.

STN – Who does your artwork?

Fernando: I take care of the albums’ artwork.

STN – Do you have any favorite songs that you perform during your shows? 

New Candys - The new ones are always the funniest to play, in the latest tours we played a couple of new songs we wrote together that will be featured in the new album. Playing old songs that haven’t been played live in awhile is fun too.

STN - Are there songs you never played live?

New Candys - Yes, there are some: Nibiru, Sermon, Lunar Day and The Outrogeous Wedding Part 2. We are looking forward to playing some of them in future.

New Candys - Sun is Gone ('Till day returns)

STN – Did you get some inspiration from oriental roots in songs like Salar and Nibiru from Stars Reach the Abyss (2012) or Sermon (Bleeding Magenta, 2017)?

New Candys - Not really, we have always been listening to rock bands playing Indian inspired music, but not original Indian music. We started to play the Sitar thanks to Brian Jones, George Harrison and Anton Newcombe.

STN  – Could you tell us the story, if there’s any, behind The Outrogeous Wedding I, II and III ?

Fernando: Those three songs were kinda incomplete and I had this idea of creating a medley directly in the studio, leaving space for improvisation. The marriage of the three songs is forced, this is why the wedding is outrageous - written Outrogeous because it’s the Outro of the album. After watching “My Life Directed by Nicholas Winding Refn”, where you can see that he films chronologically, I thought about taking the same approach to music, and that’s how the medley has been made. We had a lot of fun recording it!

New Candys - Bleeding Magenta

STN – What about Bleeding Magenta (Reprise)? How did it happen?

New Candys -When we were practicing the song, we ended up with two versions and couldn’t pick one. They were both interesting for different reasons, so we included them in the album. We also changed the key and speed to diversify them more.

STN - Where and how did you all learn to play?

New Candys - We’re all self-taught, Dario had six months of drum lessons in the beginning.

STN - How did you buy your first gear?

Fernando: My father bought me my first electric guitar and amp when I was 16 (I was able to play with the headphones so I wasn’t bothering anybody).

Dario: My parents bought me my first drum kit in 1998 from my drum teacher. The drum kit I’m playing with now was my second kit that I bought in 2009.

Andrea: My parents bought me my first acoustic guitar at 8 years old. I got my first electric guitar when I was 16 with my own money. It was an Epiphone 335.

Alex: When I was 10 my family asked me if I wanted a guitar or a videogame for my birthday or something like that. My first real guitar I bought with my grandma’s help.


New Candys Live on KEXP

STN - Can you tell us how was your first rehearsal?

Fernando: When the band started we were missing a drummer, we tried a couple drummers before Dario joined. I remember the first time we played all together and thinking “Now we’re sounding right!”. Everything started coming together sonically from there.

Dario: I remember that before our first time playing together I was given a playlist of various songs to listen to and I learned one of the songs to play together. At the time, I didn’t really understand the type of music we were playing but I knew I couldn’t have found a cooler band to play with. Andrea: I was excited to play guitar again after several years. I was really focused on trying to get the right sound, messing with the pedals and playing at first an EKO Cygnus, then decided to customize a Barracuda.

Alex: I had to learn the bass parts before practicing with the rest of the band. I remember we were in a rush because we had a gig coming up in a couple days.

STN - How was your first tour in Italy? And your first international tour?

New Candys - Italy is not really fun to play, and we didn’t really “tour” it. We always played shows during weekends, but all over the country. As an Italian band singing in English there’s no point to tour Italy extensively in our opinion, we prefer to put all our efforts to play abroad, it’s much more exciting and satisfying. As an European band we consider playing another continent an international tour. Therefore Australia was our first, and there’s too much to write here regarding that tour. The experience in the end was one of the best.


New Candys - Welcome to The Void Temple

STN - How’s the local music scene for you?

New Candys - There is none.

STN - How’s the interaction between bands? 

New Candys - Also none.

STN - What Italian bands most influenced you?

New Candys - Jennifer Gentle and Verdena.

STN - Could you do us a short resume for dummies of Italian music?

New Candys - Since we don’t listen to Italian music, we lack the expertise to answer this question.

STN - How are the radio and press in Italy? I mean regarding the underground scene…

New Candys - They don’t exist, and if they exist they can fuck off because we haven’t noticed them, and since we are one of the few Italian bands frequently playing abroad, there must be something wrong in our country. I’ll give you an example: after a show in Italy an Italian guy came to us and said he discovered us on KEXP. We think it’s crazy that we need an American radio to be discovered by Italian people.

STN - How did you got acquainted with Fuzz Club?

New Candys - They wrote us to feature our song “Metdown Corp.” on The Reverb Conspiracy Vol. 3, then we sent them our second record and from there we started to collaborate.

STN - If you could time travel, where would you like to go see a show or play?

Fernando: I recently got into Nine Inch Nails. My friends Lorelle Meets The Obsolete told me about one of NIN’s touring guitarists named Aaron North. He was crazy and played around with feedback a lot, I would have liked to see them in that period.

Dario: 100 Club Punk Special, Oxford Street, London. September 20/21 1976.

Andrea: I would go back and see a Nirvana/Melvins show in Tacoma, WA in 89’.

Alex: The Jesus And Mary Chain back in the eighties when they were playing for 25 minutes and then rioting. But also a show at the Andy Warhol’s Factory with the Velvets.

STN – Bleeding Magenta was out in 2017. Are you already working on something new?

New Candys - Yes, we are shooting for a 2020 release.

STN - When can we expect a New Candys show in Portugal?

New Candys - 2020! Thank you for the interview.


Interview by Isabel Maria

+Info

Website
Facebook
Bandcamp
Instagram

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário